So you have a great idea for an app but don’t have the time to complete it. You also have a great name for it, but how can you make sure that no one else will take it before you finish building your app? You should reserve it!
After creating your app and it is in the state “Prepare For Upload” or “Waiting For Upload”, you have 180 days (6 months) from your creation date in iTunes Connect to deliver a binary to Apple. If you do not deliver a binary before the 180-day deadline, your app is deleted from iTunes Connect. As a result of this deletion, your app name can be used by another developer and you cannot reuse the app name, SKU or bundle ID.
Steps to Reserving Your App Name Forever
- Log in to https://itunesconnect.apple.com
- Click Manage Your Apps
- Click Add New Application
- Complete the basic information, including the app name
- Upload temporary icons and screenshots (for iPhone 4 & iPhone 5)
- Change the app status to “Waiting for Upload”
- Create a very simple app and use the new bundle ID
- Submit the App to the App Store for Review (as you normally would)
- After the status has changed to “Waiting for Review” go into iTunes Connect
- Click Manage Your Apps > View Details > Binary Details
- Click Reject this Binary
This will set the status of your application to “Developer Rejected”. Since you have successfully submitted a binary and had a “Waiting for Review” status it can sit in that status forever, therefore your app name is parked forever! Apple considers it a “real” app since it was officially submitted. So now sit on your great app name until you’re ready to finish development.